Skip to main content

lorem ipsum

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

In web and print design, we use a block of text that we affectionality call "lorem ipsum". First used by an unknown printer in the 1500s, it is widely thought to be merely a space filler, a bunch of nonsense words that fill across the page in much the same fashion as real text. It helps typographers arrange their type and helps designers convey a sense of what a page will look like, without distracting people with the content.

Well, today I became curious about lorem ipsum, so I dug around a little and discovered that it isn't nonsense at all. In fact, it was crafted thousands of years ago by a very sensible and intelligent man indeed - none other than Cicero!

Our useful little lorem ipsum that pops up all over the web on unfinished pages, began its journey in 45 BC, when Cicero wrote "The Extremes of Good and Evil", or de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum. (My love of languages notes that 'finibus' is finishes in English, fin in French, fine in Italian, 'bonorum' is bon in French, bene in Italian, and 'malorum' implies malady, illness, male in Italian and bad in English.)

In all my dalliances over the years with Lorem ipsum, I never suspected that my 'nonsense tool' was in fact over two thousand years old. Now, I know that every time someone lorem ipsum-ates a page, I am looking at a most meaningul piece of text:

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain of itself, because it is pain, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great pleasure. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it? But who has any right to find fault with a man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that produces no resultant pleasure?

http://www.lipsum.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ass-end of a rabbit

The first time I ate rabbit was in Germany. I was fifteen and on school exchange in Gottingen. We went out to a warm, dark restaurant and I ordered the rabbit because it seemed unusual. It was rump, and it tasted like rump. In fact it tasted exactly like the ass-end of a rabbit and I didn't enjoy it much. Today I was reading Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries cookbook and encountered a recipe for rabbit. Not far from my little house is an Italian grocer, and next door is an Italian butcher. I knew he'd have rabbit - he has everything. I had all the ingredients for Nigel's recipe: rabbit, tarragon, onion, white wine and cream is added at the end. Then I spoke to the butcher himself, who said you can't go wrong with red wine, tomatoes, garlic and basil. Never one to choose a single option when there is room for two, I made them both. Both are fantastic! I quite impressed with myself. Excuse me, it's dinner time, I must go.

autumn sunrise

Autumn. Six in the morning and I've been wide awake since four. Tried to reclaim sleep for a while then the rooster crowed around five and my thoughts turned to the sunrise. I haven't watched one in a while, since I lived near the ocean several years ago and worked every second week in the desert with 5am starts. I prefer sunrise over sunset; it is so beautiful and so fleeting, analogous to life. With a coffee I came and sat in the garden. We are on a slope so I can see the ground fall away below me, the dam to my left and in front of me a tree, wearing her yellow autumn colours which are visible even in this still-dark of the morning. For a while - too long - I look at my garden and start to plan. An entertaining area to my left that overlooks the dam. A small wall to carve out an area of flatness. Curves that skate around the contours, bringing a sense of order. Then I wipe the slate clean and try to keep it more natural with just grass, garden, no walls of stone... Th