Skip to main content

house hunted

I know a lot of people who have spent many long weeks house hunting. They pick the general area they want, consider things like nearby shops, a uni or schools, how close it is to the beach, whether it's a good investment. They ruthlessly stalk through their chosen suburbs, camera and notebook in hand, taking pictures and writing down numbers, hunting for the perfect house.

This is not how it is with me. I am not destined to be the hunter; I am the hunted.

Today I meandered down along the coast to Freo with a couple of books and a vague sense of wanting some coffee. I swung a left on Burke St and innocently glanced out of my window, and WHAM! A house got me! It had a little verandah that was patterned with sunlight through the shelter of a small tree. Its windows were like the cute little smiling eyes of Japanese anime girls and cheekily, it showed me a glimpse of its backyard. Adorable. I'm in love.

Sighing at the thought of how many years it will yet be before I can afford such a home, I pressed resolutely down on the accelerator and took another left headed for George Street. Coffee, magazines, I found myself looking over my shoulder half expecting a house to be peeking at me from around the corner, but I was safe for now.

On the way home I forgot about a no-right-turn and was forced into the wrong backstreet. Driving along, minding my own business, suddenly I was whacked between the eyes by a bold burst of colour boasting a big "for sale" sign. Yet another house was hunting me! It advertised with a promise to "bring my life to colour" and sure enough, it was indeed painted as brightly as a peacock with his tail spread wide. There were glimpses of the wonders held within, a dazzling dungeon, a luscious loft, a vibrant verandah. It was just gorgeous. Also kind of hideous, actually, but I loved it for being so different.

Then, there was Harvest. I always find it hard to pass that restaurant. First, the food is interesting, healthy and amazing. Second, the house it's in is practically my dream home. Dark floor boards, a nice big fireplace surrounded by seats that probably have some name they use in interior design. Comfy, cosy, sunlight streaming in from the bright, cold day outside. Long rooms and endless possibilities for places to hang art. I want to take it home with me - I want to make it my home.

Last but not least, there is my old place. I lived there for a few years and its beauty is hidden in corners of my mind; the wallpaper I would put around the entrance to the kitchen. The new tiles I'd install in the bathroom. The various purposes I would put to the little bedrooms - a studio, a study, a place to sleep. The rug I don't own yet but would buy for the long, wide, open floor. The balcony that looks out across rooftops and channels the far-off sounds of summer afternoons from the river.

I am terrified to step out of my door in case another beautiful house, representative of a beautiful, colourful, life, drops out of the sky and squishes me!

It's hard work being house hunted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the ass-end of a rabbit

The first time I ate rabbit was in Germany. I was fifteen and on school exchange in Gottingen. We went out to a warm, dark restaurant and I ordered the rabbit because it seemed unusual. It was rump, and it tasted like rump. In fact it tasted exactly like the ass-end of a rabbit and I didn't enjoy it much. Today I was reading Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries cookbook and encountered a recipe for rabbit. Not far from my little house is an Italian grocer, and next door is an Italian butcher. I knew he'd have rabbit - he has everything. I had all the ingredients for Nigel's recipe: rabbit, tarragon, onion, white wine and cream is added at the end. Then I spoke to the butcher himself, who said you can't go wrong with red wine, tomatoes, garlic and basil. Never one to choose a single option when there is room for two, I made them both. Both are fantastic! I quite impressed with myself. Excuse me, it's dinner time, I must go.

autumn sunrise

Autumn. Six in the morning and I've been wide awake since four. Tried to reclaim sleep for a while then the rooster crowed around five and my thoughts turned to the sunrise. I haven't watched one in a while, since I lived near the ocean several years ago and worked every second week in the desert with 5am starts. I prefer sunrise over sunset; it is so beautiful and so fleeting, analogous to life. With a coffee I came and sat in the garden. We are on a slope so I can see the ground fall away below me, the dam to my left and in front of me a tree, wearing her yellow autumn colours which are visible even in this still-dark of the morning. For a while - too long - I look at my garden and start to plan. An entertaining area to my left that overlooks the dam. A small wall to carve out an area of flatness. Curves that skate around the contours, bringing a sense of order. Then I wipe the slate clean and try to keep it more natural with just grass, garden, no walls of stone... Th